Why is the Workplace website being updated?
Workplace’s new website was built to give us a new foundation to improve the performance and accessibility of Workplace, which we know from feedback are important customer priorities. It will benefit from Facebook’s powerful infrastructure, designed to help billions of people around the world stay connected.
With this update we can continue to make performance and accessibility improvements in the future, while introducing exciting features to help colleagues connect and collaborate.
- Dark Mode: helps minimize screen glare and is easier on the eyes, especially for use in low light conditions. You can switch to Dark Mode by clicking your profile picture in the bottom-left, then clicking Display Options, and clicking Dark Mode.
- Full Width Mode: provides a better experience to people using a large monitor by minimizing wasted white space.
- Better post creation experience: we modernized the post creation experience by collapsing the "Add to your post" section to improve focus, and added easier text formatting options.
- Improved Accessibility: in addition to Dark Mode, we have introduced improved focus management, easier keyboard navigation and support for screen readers. To learn more about accessibility support on Workplace, visit our Help Center.
- Faster: using cutting-edge infrastructure components developed at Facebook, the Workplace website is now significantly faster, making it easier for you to find the things you need to get work done.
To help you find your way around the new website interface, here are some features that have moved or changed:
- Group Insights: have been moved under “Admin Options” accessible via the “...” menu in the groups header for a full screen experience.
- Groups admin options: now open as a full screen view with a clearer information hierarchy and visual design.
- Post composer default menu in Groups: you will now see options such as Add a photo/video, check-in or share a feeling or activity. For more options, you can click into the post composer to Add to Your Post.
- Chat menu: we’ve made changes to the interface when clicking the + button in chat. The order of possible actions has changed, for example create a poll is now the last option.
- Events interface: We’ve modernised the Events UI: the Invite button now appears in the upper right corner now as opposed to under event details to make it easier to quickly invite your colleagues to company and team events.
What’s temporarily missing?
A few surfaces do not yet fully support Dark Mode. We’re reviewing each page and will be bringing full support by launch.
What will no longer be available in the new experience?
- Set nickname: to lighten the infrastructure of the Workplace website, we decided to remove the "set nickname" feature that allowed chat participants to set nicknames for one another. We have decided to deprecate this feature on both the Workplace website as well as the Workplace Chat iOS app.
- Picture Polls: due to very low usage, we have decided to deprecate this functionality.
- Quick Help In Product: We have simplified the menu on the new Workplace website and will be removing the in-product Quick Help. You can still click on the Help Center and search there for answers to your questions.
Summary list of features
|What's new||What's changed||What's fixed||No longer available|
|Dark Mode||Group Insights||Attatching multiple files / photos in a post||Set a nickname|
|Wider feed||Groups admin options||Persistent menu "Get Started" button missing for chat bots||Picture polls|
|Better post creation experience||Post composer default menu in Groups||Auto Group membership now called: Who is pre-approved to join.||Quick Help In-Product|
|Improved accessibility||Chat menu||Peer-to-peer Live Enterprise|
|Faster||Events interface||Event creation support in Groups|
|Post-insights are now accessible via the contextual menu at the top right of your posts|
|Creating photo albums in Groups|
|Invite to groups via CSV file uploads|
|Chat timestamps more visible|
|File integrations with Google Drive and Dropbox|
|Ability to attach multiple files to a post and view file previews|
|Formatting while viewing markdown posts in full screen|
|Creating and editing Closed Captioning on videos|
|File integrations with Sharepoint / Onedrive|
|Display schedules in Events|
|Uploading files in the Files tab in a group|
|Camera functionality in Chat|
August 12th - Early access opt-in (New and classic website available): Admins can test the new experience and turn it on/off for their company
August 26th - Early access opt-out only (New and classic website available): New website is launched to all customers. Companies can switch back at any time if they wish.
December 9th - Key missing features available: All missing features, including Topics and Multilingual posts, will be available in new experience.
February 9th - Old website no longer available: Your Workplace will be moved to the new Workplace website and you will no longer be able to access the classic experience. Users of Internet Explorer 11 will be moved onto a limited version of the new Workplace experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
I’m an Admin, how do I turn on / off the new website experience to try it myself?
As an Admin, you can try the new website by turning it on for your own account only. To do this, click on your profile picture in the bottom left-hand corner, then click on "Use improved Workplace website".
I’m an Admin, how do I turn on / off the new website experience for company?
System admins can manage Early Access for the improved website for their entire Workplace via the What's new post in the Admin Panel. Admins can select a start and end date of their Early Access period. The default Early Access end date is set to February 9th 2021.
Can I move my company to the new website before February 9th 2021?
Yes, if you would like to move your Workplace to the new website, please change your Rollout Completion date via What’s New, then select Manage Early Access to your desired date.
I am an employee. How can I go back to the classic website if I don't want to use the improved website?
Before February 9th you will be able to go back to the old website. To do this, click on the profile picture in the bottom left-hand corner, then click on Use classic Workplace Website. You will no longer see this option after February 9th.
When will missing features be available in the new experience?
All missing features will be available by December for you to try before the final transition on February 9th. Will the new website support all features in Internet Explorer?
Some features, including new features such as Dark Mode will not be supported in Internet Explorer. For the best experience on Workplace we recommend using one of the following browsers.